Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dentist

The two year old had her first dentist appointment today. She was so excited (for real. It was trippy).

Last night at bedtime, after we thought she was asleep (or at least settled in), she comes tentatively out of her room. When I called her name she said “Mommy, I’m awake! It’s time to go to the dentist”. I managed to convince her that she really needed to sleep before we could go see the dentist.

This morning, she even willingly left in the middle of an episode of Mickey Mouse because she was so excited. To see the dentist.

We have to ride the elevator when we get to the office. It was her first memorable elevator ride; she kept calling it an alligator.

She was chatty and happy in the waiting room, though she refused to speak to anyone but her brother or me. She was so excited to finally get to sit in one of the “big” chairs and watch the movie (except it was Kung Fu Panda, not her favorite). She readily opened her mouth for the hygienist (but she wouldn’t talk to her) and let her brush and even put “Mr. Thirsty” (that suction straw thing) in her mouth – she doesn’t like noises so I was surprised, but she was fascinated when her brother used it so she gave it a tentative try. It made her giggle.

She got a little squirmy waiting for the dentist, so the hygienist brought her an awesome toy.

brushing the dinosaurs teeth
She even let the dentist do an entire fluoride treatment.

It was a surreal morning. I hate the dentist. I fear the dentist. I don’t get her excitement.

But she was so proud. She walked around gritting her teeth and tapping them saying “they’re so clean” all afternoon. My big girl.

But she still won’t pee in the potty.

No comments: