Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ten years old?!

Today marked the final celebration for the ten year olds birthday. We do love to prolong the birthday celebrations around here (at least for the kids … birthdays aren’t as fun when you are “older”).

First stop to kick off the weekend: roller skating.  

Straight outa the 70’s baby. I’m pretty sure I used those very same skates in my youth.

In the last 48 hours, besides the roller rink, we’ve been to the ice rink, had a sleepover for three, a movie for seven and to close out the festivities, a pizza party. Pizza with five loud, goofy boys telling boy jokes while the two girls roll their eyes and try to be aloof (the beginnings of flirting?? Oh help me!!).

Don't you wish you were there? Every parents dream.

I love being a parent, and I love, love, love watching the kids in their social element (which to me is the best part of these birthday gatherings). At the same time, a little adult time is important on the weekend too. I snuck out to play a soccer game, had a nightcap with the neighbors and am looking forward to some mountain time (with the ten year old and some friends) tomorrow. The hubs got out to a movie with mom and dad. Someday we might manage to get out of the house together, the husband and I. Big dreams.


As we wrap up this week of celebrating the middle child, I look forward to getting back to normal life. Though it’s fun to single the kids out as individuals and make them feel special, I’ve learned over the years that it also makes them more difficult to be around. Less sleep, more eye rolling, more sighing, whinier whyyyyyyyyyyy’s. I look forward to the predictable eye rolling, sighing and whyyyyyyy-ing that comes with everyday life in our house.

*sigh*

No comments: