Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chatting up the President

Holy hell you guys! Tonight I sat on my couch (with my broken foot elevated ... more on that later) and watched my son, on live TV, shake the presidents hand and talk to him.

You guys!! My son. Met. POTUS!!

Who does that?

My son. The teenager. Did I mention that?

From the Seattle PI footage

He got to watch Air Force One land at Boeing Field. Then he got to walk onto the tarmac (!!!!) and wait at the bottom of the stairs (!!!!) as Obama debarked. He shook his hand, chatted a bit, laughed. They had a moment.

Here is some raw video footage, he's at the 1:20 mark. The angle sucks, I'm waiting for another news channel to post with a better angle. But still. Holy hell.

And what, you may be asking, did they say to each other? From his facebook page:
I thanked him for his support of marriage equality. He told me absolutely, that it was a "priority issue."
You may also be asking HOW he got to be part of this group. It was a thank you from the Obama for America (OFA) campaign for all his hard work - the whole group on the tarmac were campaign volunteers.

Sweet!

I don't remember the last time we were all together around the tv, watching something. Okay, granted one of us was actually ON the TV, but it counts as a significant family moment. The toddler kept waving at the TV, calling his name. The tween actually wished he WAS his brother (um, wow). Hubs and I held hands. I choked up a bit.

Eek!!

What a surreal day.



PS I'm trying to buy a copy of the above picture, it's the best one I've found online (though I've seen lots). I'll probably want multiple prints, so don't be surprised to see it as a magnet on the side of my car. Or on the back of my t-shirt. Maybe as earrings. Ooooh, on my flask even!

2 comments:

Patricia Wright said...

a proud moment indeed. You guys did good. Someone else's son is shooting people in a theater - yours is meeting the president. Good job!

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing, I'm excited just knowing someone whose son met the POTUS. I can't even imagine how you feel!