Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mommy, I'm stuck

I've been preparing to write an update about the boys as I was told recently that I don't post enough about them. But damned if the toddler has stolen the show again today.

I was working on the final draft of the PTSA newsletter (the one that was supposed to be at the printer yesterday. Eek) when the toddler, in a panicked voice, says, "mommy, I'm stuck".

She had been using one of the antique fire hose nozzles we have (the husband used to be a fireman, we have some fun little collectibles from the past) as her telescope. She loves to search for things with the smaller nozzle, holding it up to her eyes (squinting closed the eye that is peeping through the nozzle, very cute) and tiptoeing around me while I work. Well, she had sat down and decided to put her fingers, one at a time, into the small opening on the top.

The middle finger got stuck.

At first, there was just a mild panic in her voice, but it escalated as she kept pulling on her finger. I went over to take a look and tried to gently pull, to no avail. I picked her up, trying not to giggle (because, come on, it's kind of funny) and carried her upstairs to the sink. We ran cold water over her finger for a few minutes, which she did NOT like, while I tried to figure out what the next step should be. I couldn't find the Vaseline, which was the first thing that occurred to me. I was at the point where someone needed to help me, but where does one turn in this kind of situation? I'd feel completely ridiculous taking her to the ER, but wasn't sure the doctor would see us on such short notice.

I called my father-in-law (a former EMT/medic type, the one I always turn to for medical situations when I don't want to go see the actual doctor). After I assured him, over the hysterical toddlers screams, that everything was really okay, he suggested I try liquid soap (duh, why didn't I think of that? It was right in front of me).

I picked up her hand/nozzle (dude, that would be a great super hero attachment!) and tried to move it back to the sink. She started screaming "Don't cut it off!"

In hind sight, "well, lets just cut it off then," is perhaps not the best comeback to the imaginary wounds the kids come to us with.

After a couple minutes, the soap greased the finger up enough and it slid out. Whew.

That's when the tears really started. "I want to call daddy" she tells me, between sobs. Daddy, of course, does not answer the first two calls. So we decided the best way for her finger to feel better would be to make chocolate chip cookies. Because chocolate cures everything.

On the right is the offending nozzle. While waiting for the cookies to cook, she is eating a spoonful of peanut butter with chocolate chips sprinkled in. This is what daddy suggested would make her feel better. Parenting 101, right here.

1 comment:

paw49 said...

Who knew having a toddler could be so much fun!