Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Saving the toddlers soul

I had to get up waaaaaay too early this weekend (meaning that I came home waaaaaay too late from the concert Friday night, after consuming a tad too much vodka; the 6:30am alarm clock HURT) to meet the carpet cleaners at my grandmothers vacant house. Fortunately he was fun to talk with, and a pretty easy on the eyes, so that helped.

Anywho, as I was sitting under a blanket in my beach chair on the front porch, trying to focus on my book and stay awake, the hubs called me. Here, paraphrasing his words, is why:

So I was, *ahem,* unavailable when I heard the doorbell ring and the toddler immediately yell "I'll get it daddy." I hear her run down the hall, down the stairs to open the door. By the time I could get to her, she had slammed the door shut and was coming back upstairs. She handed me a pamphlet.
"Here daddy, I got this for you."
I looked at it and it was a pamphlet about Jesus coming to save her soul.

Okay, really? On one level, its funny that they handed a toddler their religious materials. Is she really the target audience here? Did they think she can read it? Did it occur to them that she is not the head of the household? WHY did they hand anything to a toddler? I assume she just shut the door on them and they walked away, which tells me they weren't really into this soul saving thing in the fist place.

Whatever.

But on another level, on that "death is everywhere" mom level, I was a little freaked out. My toddler opened the door to a stranger, with no other adult in site. Umm, no. Not cool.

But I kept it light, and after my initial reaction of a sort of awkward guffaw that made the carpet guy look up and chuckle at me, all I said was "perhaps it is time to actually install the latch you bought for the front door, honey."

Thankfully, though, I can rest easily knowing my toddler has been saved. By a pamphlet.

Whew.

No comments: