Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Writing Prompt: surviving the summer


Writing Prompt:

"It’s hot, the kids are home and crazy, our pets are panting, the days are long…share your number one Summer Survival Tip."





If you know me at all, I know you can figure out what popped into my head when I read this one.




But interestingly, I posted a similar question on facebook a couple days ago. The kids were driving me nuts, I was tired of sitting home (though was feeling quite productive with the tween helping me keep an eye on the toddler), I needed a new perspective. So I asked my 244 closest friends, "parents: how are you keeping your kids entertained this summer?"

And here is what they said:

Jessica by locking them in the basement. 

Ericka I give her lots of candy then send her to grandma's. 

Rebecca G I let them play with matches, run in the street, and babysit themselves. it's really working well. 

Lisa I'm with Jess. I tie my kids up, then read all day, eat bon bons and watch soap operas!  

Me I was just going to slip them some vodka and turn the radio up really loud - dance party at our house! It's my vacation too, right? 

Becky H Duct tape works well I have heard :) 

Jeff waterboarding.....they hate it!


Do you see how I surround myself with like minded people?

So after a brief deliberation, I have decided that my answer is the same.

I use vodka to survive my summers. The good stuff, in case you are looking to help me out. 100 proof Stoli - the blue label.

How about you? 

7 comments:

Lex the mom said...

Awesome things to use to survive the Summer! I think using them one at a time, in a pattern, will make this Summer most interesting! Except the waterboarding. Not so much a fan of water sports. And the Vodka - well, that can be used alongside my experiment.

Paulette said...

Yes, good vodka should never be forgotten for it's medicinal purposes. Lord knows when summer begins I'm all like yay no more early hours (who was I kidding?) homework, etc...I will heartily welcome these school things once more cause then I can actually be productive on the household chores!

Cyndy Bush said...

Jello.Shots.
I'm visiting from Mama Kat's and I just have to say that I bow down to you moms with teens and toddlers. I have tweens & teens and the thought of starting over terrifies me!

Minivan Mama said...

My savior is wine. It makes me happy!

MommyLisa said...

I am with Minivan - pass the vino.

Heidi Smith Luedtke -- LeadingMama said...

I took my kids blueberry picking last week and then we came home and made blueberry vodka with our fruit. My 4 year old enjoyed pouring the blueberries into the jars with the canning funnel. I say that's an educational field trip/cooking class! And mommy needs a drink, ya know.

bec said...

OMG Heidi, I'm totally going to do that!!