Friday, June 24, 2011

Becoming a greener family

Greener? More green? Hmmm, should probably work on that title.

Anyway, regardless of my poor grammar, I am super excited about this new program we are doing. I got a heads up about it a couple weeks ago via twitter (yeah for social networking!!). The basics of the program - since King County is one of the greenest counties in America, GLAD is teaming up with the blogging community and the city of Seattle for their "Waste Less" program.

The other day, I got a visit from the UPS man (not the hubs, note). He brought us all these boxes; a special delivery from GLAD to help us get started:


Once I could pry them away from the toddler, who was convinced they were her presents, we found a stainless steel, motion sensor recycling bin, a years supply of tall kitchen recycling bags, a compost bin and a years supply of liners for said bin. All this for agreeing to blog about something that I know our family will totally get behind. Pretty freakin' awesome!!

Tonight, Tom Watson, who runs the eco-consumer division of King County, will be coming by to discuss waste less tips and techniques, and how we can be more conscientious of what we recycle vs throw in the garbage. It's kind of exciting!

I thought this project was something we could all get behind as a family, something we could work on together. Especially because the teenager is very aware of recycling and has been trying to get us to be better at it, trying to get us to start composting (in general, telling us what we are doing wrong, as teenagers do). So, as a family, we are vowing to fill up our recycle and yard waste bins to the brim each week, and to waste less in the process. I'll keep you posted on how we are doing. Let me know in the comment section if any of y'all have tips for us!

1 comment:

Felicia Fibro said...

That is awesome! We recycle a lot and it is easy once it become habit. Now it is hard for me to not recycle when I'm a houseguest. We need to start recycling food waste, but haven't quite gotten there yet. Good luck! I can't wait to hear more about your new project!