Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Racing for a Cure


These are not particularly flattering photos, but since it was for a good cause, and since I'm wearing a super cute tutu, I figured it was worth the embarrassment.

As always, it was a really fun day at the Seattle Race for the Cure. Over all the race itself brought in 1.6 million dollars. That's a crapload of money for this cause - go Seattle!! Our little team raised over $2500 (yeah Team Bacon Salt!). My cousin put together a team, Real Charitable Housewives of Seattle, and her team was one of the top 100 fundraising teams with over $5K towards the cause. So awesome, I'm proud of everyone!!

It's such an amazing day, I really think everyone should be a part of it!! Next year, people, I expect to see you all there.

My most sobering moment was when I ran into an old client of mine. His wife was diagnosed with breast cancer after a surprise pregnancy caused them to go in for extra testing. She went through chemo while she was pregnant (safe, shockingly). After the baby was born, she had surgery, but eventually lost her battle. She left behind a husband and three boys - including a little newborn. Seeing all of them at the race stopped me in my tracks and almost brought tears to my eyes. The baby is probably about 4 years old now. Being raised without a mommy.

Holy hell that just sucks.

There are thousands of these stories, and thousands of survivors too. I'm proud of the small amount I am able to do to help fight this damn battle. Because this is so personal, and has touched my family too, I am going to put together a team for the Portland race in September. Watch out because I'm going to be recruiting you all soon.

Seriously. Be prepared. I'm on a mission.

1 comment:

Felicia Fibro said...

Your past client's story is so sad that it DID bring tears to my eyes! I watched my 30 yr old friend go through endless treatments this year, for breast cancer. She has the BRCA-1 gene mutation. Kudos to you and your dedication to finding a cure!